Friday, September 16, 2011

FRIDAY FIRSTS: K. Victoria Smith

The first five sentences from: Ogham Court



Symbols are the Ogham,
first form of writing in Ireland.

“I’m so sorry for your loss, Nora. I will miss your Aunt Aine terribly. So gifted, so important to the community, a blessing from the Goddess.”  Another hand to hold.  Faces I would never remember once things were settled with the shop and I was back in Philadelphia.


FUN "FIRST" QUESTIONS

1. What’s the first thing you do when you start writing a new story?
That has changed over time. My first novel, Dark Dealings, also expected in 2012, started as the main character’s voice.  She was demanding to be heard.  A Wall Street banker, she found in me a kindred spirit--a person who had tried to be what she wanted to be and not she really is. So that book was written in flashes of scenes and characters.  I learned a lot from that and from Chris Vogler’s book The Writer’s Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers.

Since then, I start brainstorming about plot and characters on my 4x3 whiteboard at night and in notebooks as I go through the day. Ideas are loosely transferred to notecards that represent the touch-points of the Hero’s Journey. It’s not exactly outlining, but I’m not a pantser either.

2. When standing in front of a buffet line, what’s the first food that catches your eye?
Dessert, especially chocolate!  Like my novels, I need to have a good idea of the ending and the sweeter and gooier the better.  One of the things on my bucket list is to go the Hershey Spa for a chocolate body wrap.  I don’t think they supply the hunk to help “remove” it so I may to bring my own. Hey, I can dream…I’m a fiction writer.

3. What was your first date with your significant other?
To begin with, we met at a bar in Tribeca that formed the basis for the Salmon Run Inn. It was not a fix-up but a get-together of a group of people engineered by a bond trader I worked with who also happened to have gone to high school with him.  We spent the evening together (only the evening).  The next morning I called my best friend and told her I had just met the man I was going to marry. Over a week later, he finally called and we decided to have dinner in a cute Mexican restaurant south of Washington Square Park.  During dinner, I found out he was over three years younger than me.  Back then that was cougar territory. He was very nervous.  At the end of the meal, he reached into his pocket. The color drained from his face and he started to stammer.  He had left his wallet on the dashboard of his car which was parked down by Canal Street. So I paid for dinner. Miraculously the car and the wallet were still there.

This December we will be together 28 years.


4. If you won the lottery, what’s the first thing you’d buy?
I would buy the farm in Ireland, outside Galway, that belonged to my maternal grandfather’s family.  It was sold off during the days of the Celtic Tiger economy for development. Fortunately for me, although unfortunately for the developer, the real estate market there is as bad or worse than the US market and no development has taken place.  When last visited by family members, the original farmhouse with thatched roof and center hearth was still intact. What a wonderful place to write my stories and hold writing retreats with whiskey around the hearth.

About K.Victoria Smith: She learned storytelling at the feet of her Roscommon-born grandmother.  For years, K.Victoria lived in an imaginary world peopled by magical and horrifying creatures and the humans who loved them. Then one day, these characters demanded to be let out. So during the day, K.Victoria is a mild mannered banker while at night she writes paranormal romance and urban fantasy. The magic of Ogham Court will see the light of day in 2012.


 Visit her author page on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/K.VictoriaSmith
On her blog: Storyteller’s Grove: http://kvictoriasmith.blogspot.com/
On Twitter as @kvictoriasmith: http://twitter.com/KVictoriaSmith where she has been known to hang out at #pubwrite.


No comments:

Post a Comment