Friday, January 6, 2012

FRIDAY FIRSTS with Diana Ballew


First Five Sentences of...THORNS OF EDEN

“Oh, Father. If we’d only known,” Eden Blair whispered. A stiff poke gouged the small of her back. She turned around and glared at her stepmother, Ann. “Ouch! What did you do that for?"

Father? Oh, do move on, Eden. It’s been a whole year, for heaven's sake.”

Genre: Historical Romance
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press


Available now

*  *  *  *  *

FUN FIRST FACTS ABOUT DIANA

1. What was the first romance you ever read?
Geez. We’re going way back. I was thirteen. I think I was feeling particularly rebellious that day because I checked out two books from the public library: The Exorcist (scared me silly!) and Coffee, Tea, or Me, a book about lusty “stewardesses,” as they were called back then. I kept both books stashed under my bed so nobody would find them. It didn’t take me long to discover Kathleen Woodiwiss, Rosemary Rogers, and one of my all-time favorite books, The Proud Breed by Celeste De Blasis. I loved that book so much I recently bought a used hardback copy on Amazon for my personal library.

2. Tell me about the first novel you ever wrote? What ever happened to it?
Thorns of Eden is the very first full-length manuscript I wrote. I actually started writing that book about twenty years ago (titled Heart’s Besieged back then) and stashed it away. In 2010 I plucked the manuscript from a dusty file in the back of my closet, read it, and realized it was a damn good start to a story. I finished the book, edited it, and sold it to The Wild Rose Press in 2011.

3.What’s the first thing you do after you wake up in the morning (other than using the restroom LOL)?
First thing: I have to have my coffee in the morning. No way around it—I’m worthless without that early jolt of java to my brain. While drinking my coffee, I check e-mails, Facebook, Twitter and then play some FarmVille and CastleVille. Yep, I love playing some early morning games to get my mind going. I play the same games in the evening, too. I find it very relaxing. Last year I gave up the online games for three months, thinking they had to be a waste of my time. I was surprised when I realized they actually helped me budget my time more wisely. I was more productive with my writing when I had online games in my life than without them. Go figure! I also love the social aspect of the Zynga games. Most of the people I play with are other writers.

*  *  *  *

More About Diana: Her writing combines her active imagination with her love of history and research to create vibrant characters in sizzling tales blending vintage vixens with haunting heroes. Her debut novel, Thorns of Eden, is a steamy and suspenseful tale set in the American Civil War during the Peninsula Campaign of 1862.
Diana is an actively engaged member of Romance Writers of America and a member in the local chapters in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona. Additionally, she is a founding member and vice president of Evergreen RWA, located in Everett, Washington. You can find out even more about Diana on her website.


5 comments:

  1. I've read Diana's book and really enjoyed it, especially how my surroundings disappeared and I felt like I was there, watching Eden and Rayce, the hero, fall in love. The story really takes off and sweeps you back in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thorns of Eden is such a fun, steamy book! But I blame you for getting me hooked on those online games, Diana, LOL. I don't have your restraint - they've been sucking up all my time! Time to get back to the real world and write. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, Diana! It's fun to hear how different authors go about their days. And I love the fact you went back to your first story so many years later and actually got it published! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diana, thanks so much for coming on today! Maybe we'll see each other in person one of these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments, ladies. A big thank you to Becky for having me today! Diana

    ReplyDelete